Sunday, April 15, 2012

Wuthering Heights


I can say for certain that Wuthering Heights is one of the more strange books I have read.  One of my interesting experiences with this book, is instead of actually reading it, I listened to it on audio tape, while following along on my iPad. It felt like a very odd way to read the book, but it was something different, and it accomplished the same task.
One very interesting thing I noticed while reading Wuthering Heights was the reoccurrence of some subjects. One example of this is the reuse of names, for example, Catherine and Young Catherine. There are also many moments during the story where I had Déjà vu because I thought that some of the things had already happened.
The book at the beginning was so incredibly boring. I actually fell asleep a few times while trying to read the book. It took about one hundred pages before it started to pick up and get interesting. All was giving was background information and kind of familiarized us with the setting. This I have noticed is true of a lot of books. Even my favorite of books usually have boring beginnings. I believe that this is almost necessary because we need to become acquainted with how the book is written, so when it does pick up, we can fully understand what is going on.
My favorite part of the book by far was in the middle of it. When there was all the drama with Heathcliff and Catherine. It was exciting and suspenseful. One thing I didn’t like was Catherine’s betrayal of Heathcliff in marrying Linton. I believe that you should trust your heart instead of seeking to be a “gentlewomen”. As a result, Heathcliff becomes a cruel and mean person for the remainder of the story
By the end I felt sad when Heathcliff died, even though I am not usually affected by books. This was definitely not one of my favorite books. It was boring for most of it and was hard to understand at times, but I am glad that I have read it.

Word Count: 332

No comments:

Post a Comment