Saturday, November 12, 2011

Eastern Spirit, Western Dreams

Jung, Woo Jin. Eastern Spirit, Western Dreams. Edina, MN: Beaver's Pond, 2004. Print. (222)

Eastern Spirit, Western Dreams is more than just an inspirational book to me. It means much more to me than any other book I have ever read. This is for two reasons, my Grandfather fought in the Korean War, and the author is my dad’s former boss. This book I could truly relate to myself unlike any other book. Woo Jin Jung’s story is one of devastating tragedies and miraculous triumphs. He proves that anything is possible if you are willing to work for it. It was because of his work, his determination to succeed, that he was able to overcome any challenge and any obstacle that came in his way. When he arrived in the United States he had just 35 dollars in his pocket. He fled Korea to get away from the war. He wanted to start a new life, one where he could be at peace, where he didn’t have to fear the ensuing North Koreans. When thinking of where he should go, he decided to move to America, the land of opportunity.

Through the practices of Tae Kwon Do, Jung is able to achieve the unachievable. This is where the book gets its name “Eastern Spirit Western Dreams”. The Eastern Spirit is the Tae Kwon Do, what he learned in Korea. The Western Dreams are the goals Jung had in America and how he achieved them.

The details of his life made this book so gripping. Some details are gruesome and horrible to think that they actually happened, but they just add to Jung’s greatness. I have never cried before while reading a book, but I did find myself tearing up while reading this. When Jung set out for America, for the land of opportunity, he completely fulfilled the term “land of opportunity”. Today Jung is an owner of numerous fitness clubs in both Iowa as well as North Carolina. He has named his chain of fitness clubs New Life Fitness World, a true testament Jung’s life. Through all of his inspiring hard work, Jung is now a multi-millionaire. I believe it is safe to say that he is living the American Dream.

Word Count: 371

No comments:

Post a Comment